NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Philips Planetsphere

davieradio

Hi My Philips Planetsphere has the position of the planets 2002-2011

so it's a bit out of date.

So I thought I'll buy a new one and this time it is a Glow in the dark one

which sounds ideal no torch required, so imagine my disappointment when the new Philips Planetshere arrived all it says " the planets are arranged around The Ecliptic .....Well I know that , but there is no info on where, like on the standard Planetsphere.

Has anyone got a scan of the Planetary tables they coulds email me and I'll stick it on the back of the planetsphere ?

Or do I have to buy yet another one.

Dave

I have a philips planespnyhespheretriumvaraiaum, the planet locations are giving by degrees in a chart at the back of the instructions from what i remember! It gives an example using mars, once you work it out though you still need to refer to the degrees guide unless you have a good memory.

Luckily i rarely need to know where planets are though.....and if i do....well i guess i cheat and use my android phone :)

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

It's pretty easy to see if there are any planets up. Mercury will need optical aid but Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are all recognizable naked eye. Venus is very bright and never too far from the sun. Jupiter is also very bright and whitish. Mars is very red and Saturn is pale yellow-orange coloured. They do stick quite close to the ecliptic which makes them easier to find. Another clue is that they don't twinkle. (They are not point sources like the stars.)

Olly

Archived