Advice please with my telescope

Hi guys,

I have a Sky Watcher 1145p goto telescope I'm new to Astronomy and need help. I've set it all up got the hand held machine put in my location lined it up and then used the hand set, put in moon and it asked did I want to view I hit enter and nothing happened, it didn't move at all. I'm using battery pack new batteries and the hand remote is on, I have wire plugged from remote to unit. I don't know what I'm doing wrong anyone have any ideas or suggestions, as I feel I'm missing out on all these clear skies at the moment. If you can help I'd be grateful. Thank you Paul.

Exactly what do you mean by "got it all up" ?

What I do not see is the actual alignment procedure - assumes that the scope is a goto.

You set up the scope, enter the required data, location, date, time, DST, then you align the scope by going to a specified star, the scope then asks you to slew to another then a third. From this the scope determines the assorted errors in the set up and knows what compensation to apply.

All of this is either missing or not mentioned in the post.

Can you supply everything you did.

First press will select the object, second will give its location and ask to slew to it, third press will move the scope to view the object

hmm not sure about that jon1000

the skywatcher synscan goto usually wants you to pick two stars ,

fletch as capricorn says , there is usually a two star alignment to carry out , this lets the scope get its bearings on the sky, two precise points to act as markers for the comptuerised mount .

check your user manual , the alignment process goes somthing like this

level mount

level scope horiontally

switch on and enter time date lat and long in degrees amd mins

two star alignment

use buttons to point scope at a star you know ie rigel ..center and push enter button

point scope at another star ..ie mizar ,,center star in fov ,and press enter .....

somthing like that

Sorry, I read set it up as aligned it and then the user wanted to view the moon. The synscan doesn't usually let you use the moon to align the scope as you really want to use far away stars, like Betelgeuse, bellatrix, Polaris etc as it will be more accurate.

Anyway, here is a very helpful video to help you out.

Thank you everyone, I'll have another go tomorrow. I just can't use the machine to focus on star, will it only move when it's aligned to the two stars. Sorry I know I didn't explain very well. I'm a complete novice and trying to figure things out.

That's right, you have to align it first so it knows where it is. ( if you knock your tripod after alignment it will need doing again) if the problem is that you just want to use the direction buttons to move the scope, you need to find the tracking menu and you will see all the summers chancing as the scope tracks, from here you can control the scope using the arrows on the keypad.

Think I've got it sorted guys, been making a school boy error and was so simple you'll laugh....... It said in instructions plug battery pack into hand remote. Yes that lit up and worked but the Telescope didn't move one inch.... So i plugged battery source into mount and bingo started moving.... Feel like a dumb ass, but hey we all have to learn. Thank you for all your help appreciate it very much.

Archived