NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200P Dob Goto - not quite

Having read a lot of the threads on here regarding IPhone and Android stargazing apps - I downloaded Skeye last night - and I think its great - better than Google Sky Map - one of the great features on this app is you can search for any of the planets/ messier objects etc and a sort of target / compass pops up pointing you to your target. You can align the star / planet with your main scope before you proceed as well.

I know its no replacement for a Goto but - on the cheap - I'm going to try and attach it to the spotting scope tonight and try and find a few of the objects I have had no luck with in my short time with this telescope (which I love- minus two already outside and can't wait until the skies darken)

Wondered if anyone has tried this already and what were the results - apparantly theres commercially available holders for scopes on ebay already for this - although I've had no luck so far finding them.

Anyways- off out into the cold before the moon gets too close for where I'm aiming (Andromeda)

report back laters

Steve

I've tried it (by gaffer taping a phone case to the tube) and it seemed to work okay. You have to make sure there's not interference with the magnetometer.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to cradle the phone onto the scope, otherwise I'd use it more often.

Archived