Philips Webcam Questions

I have a Toucam (well 2 of them) and I wanted to grab some footage of the planets and the moon.

1. Do I need to update the firmware to a Toucam II or is that just for Vista/7 compatibility?

2. Do I need a IR/UV filter like this?

3. Can you use a Barlow with it?

4. The long exposure mod is possibly something for the future, if and when I get an EQ mount. What is the purpose of the parallel port?

Many thanks.

RAL - Welcome to SGL :)

I can't believe no one has responded!

1. I don't know I'm afraid, but hopefully someone does.
  2. Yes you do need an IR filter - that one looks pricey though, I paid a third of that and it seems to be just fine.
  3. Yes you can use a barlow and if you wnat a decent size end result it may be necessary.
  4. sorry - I don't know about that either.

Windows later than XP don't recognise early Toucams (Pro, ProII). The SPC900NC is recognised by Vista and Win7 and has suitable drivers for it. All the early Toucams can be flashed with 900 firmware (as can the SPC880) and wil be seen by the computer as a SPC900NC. The exposure control for the SPC900NC is a bit better than the earlier versions aswell.

An IR filter removes the infra red wavelengths of light that the camera is sensitive to but are invisible to the human eye. IR light focuses at a different point to visible light but is still recorded by the sensor and makes the image look slightly fuzzy.

Can you use a barlow ? Definitely. Infact for planetary and lunar imaging almost mandatory to get the best imaging resolution. Ideally, for webcams and similar you shlould be imaging at a focal ratio of about f20 to f30 depending on the telescope.

See this site for a full expanation of the LX mod and the use of the parallel port Philips SPC900NC uncovered

Peter

Many thanks Cornelius.

It only occurred to me after reading your post that there the webcam basically replaces the eyepiece, therefore losing the mag.

I am the proud owner of a SW 200p dob, which arrived Wednesday. I must say it really is a fantastic piece of kit, it really looks and feels like your getting your money's worth, and more.

Needless to say, I took it out Wednesday evening and got 3 HUGE wow moments. The Moon, Jupiter and the nebula in Orion's scabbard (is that called Orion's nebula?). Getting these spectacular views, however, makes me want to share them with family and friends, hence the webcam route.

So would a x3 barlow be a better option for planetary recording?

Any recommendations for the barlow and filters?

Thanks again.

Archived