NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skyliner 200P and Flextube Version - Differences?

I've seen loads of recommendations for the Skyliner 200P Dobsonian, but little mention of the Flextube in the same size. What exactly is the difference (if any) in these two models, apart from the design and GOTO? Is the Flextube inferior in some way?

I also noticed the product blurb for the Flextube said it would hold collimation for the entire evening. Does that mean I'll have to collimate every time I use it afresh?

Can't really comment on the 8" versions but we have had both the 12" solid tube and the 12" flextube auto version.

Probably the first reason for recommending the solid tube over the flextube is cost! That aside, main reason we purchased the flextube was to take it to star parties and the 12" solid tube was just too long to fit in the boot of our car.

The main differences, apart from cost, from our comparison is that the solid tube held collimation better than the flextube. We do need to collimate the flextube each time we set it up. The flextube needs a light shroud, whereas the solid tube doesn't. We have also found that the flextube seems a bit more vulnerable to dew. The main advantage of the flextube over the solid tube is the more compact size. Certainly it makes a difference for us with the 12" dob. Not sure if it so much of an issue for the 8" versions.

The solid tube version is actually slightly lighter than the Flextube one. The latter does collapse down for storage / carriage. Optically they are the same. You may need to invest in a light shroud to go around the tubes with the Flextube to keep stray light, dust and body heat out of the optical path.

Archived