Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this planisphere ok for my location?

I am based in Krakow, Poland and want to purchase a planisphere for use here that i can take out in the field with me, but in English, not Polish!

Coordinates for central Krakow are: 50°04'N 19°56'E

Would the following planisphere be suitable for use here: www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Planisphere-Latitude-51-5-North/dp/1849071888/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327001911&sr=8-1

Thanks

Ali

Hi Superali , It's latitude that matters and that ( in your link) should work just fine . There is plenty of amateur astronomy activity there. There is a nice observatory at Niepolomice , near Krakow , with an amateur group.

Thanks everyone.

LeoLion, i was aware of the observatory in Kraków, but not in Niepołomice, thanks for pointing it out. Do you know if the group have a website i could check out? Out of interest, i'm guessing you have some connection to the group (how else could anyone in the UK be aware of Niepolomice :-) what do you know about the group itself?

I was in an astronomy shop in Krakow earlier this week and enquired about local astronomy groups but was informed that there are currently none on the go. I was told occassional local field meets are sometimes organised by users on Polish astronomy forums, but nothing more.

I have an interest in occultations and we have an international meeting every year. About 3 years back we were in Niepolomice for that meeting . Here is a link to a picci of the observatory Panoramio - Photo of Niepolomice - Obserwatorium im. Kordylewskiego . The Youth Astro Society is here M³odzie¿owe Obserwatorium Astronomiczne . You might find this site of interest AstroNEWS - Astronomia ka?dego dnia . I use Chrome as a browser so it kindly offers me a translation of most sites !!

Last year I was in Germany at Berlin Treptow Observatory.

Archived