Dovetails

I'm still fairly new to stargazing and I was wondering if someone can explain to me in plain English what dovetails are for? I've seen the terminology, but I'm not sure what they are used for. Are they the bracket that fixes the scope to the mount? Are these standardised fittings, or does each manufacturer have their own fitting; as you tend to find with cameras and lenses.

I'm looking to buy a scope soon, and want to get as much info before I decide on a purchase. Many thanks :D

Are they the bracket that fixes the scope to the mount? Are these standardised fittings, or does each manufacturer have their own fitting;

That is exactly what they are, the bracket that fits the telescope to the mount head - they are called dovetails because if you look at the end of one you will see that it is chamfered, taking on the appearance of a dove's tail feathers (if you have a good imagination!!).

Manufacturers do have different ideas on these but there are basically two types, 'Vixen' (also known as 'Synta') and 'Losmandy'. Losmandy are wider and more substantial and are the dovetail of choice for heavier equipment.

The telescope tube (OTA -Optical Tube Assembly) is ususally held in a couple of rings.

These rings are fixed at either end of the dovetail to give maximum stability.

The dovetail (either Vixen or Losmandy style) then fits the saddle/puck on the mount.

HTH

Thanks for your prompt answers guys!

If the Losmandy dovetail is "the dovetail of choice for heavier equipment" does this limit the type of mounting that you can use? Is the saddle over the mount interchangeable, or is it a case of the more robust mounts come with a fixed saddle for Losmandy, and the lighter mounts come with a fixed saddle for vixen?

I realise that there is no point putting a light saddle on a heavy duty mount and visa versa. I'm just looking at the possibilities to make sure that I don't buy a scope and mount that don't fit together!

I'm looking at buying a Celestron C9.25 and an equatorial mount.

I have a dual Vixen/ Losmandy saddle on both my HEQ5 and the NEQ6.

Until recently I was using the C9.25 on the NEQ - majic!!

Now (thanks to my wife - Sue! ...thanks Sue) I have a C11 on the NEQ6 - both used the wider Losmandy rails.

Until recently I was using the C9.25 on the NEQ - majic!!

Does the duel saddle come as standard on the NEQ6? (I was originally looking at the CGEM mount, but this forum seems to be swaying me more and more towards the NEQ6 Synscan).

I'm assuming that I'd probably be better off with the wider Losmandy rail on the C9.25

Would you recommmend the C9.25 as being good for both visual and imaging; as it says on the Celestron website? :)

I upgraded the NEQ6 with an GEOPTIK dual saddle, but I believe the new mounts already come with a dual arrangement as standard.

All my SCT's are now fitted with the Losmandy dovetails.

Yes,

I think the C9.25 is an excellent all rounder.

(The C11 on the NEQ6 - The C9.25 on the NEQ6)

post-15261-133877725942_thumb.jpg

post-15261-133877725946_thumb.jpg

Your scopes look fantastic! :)

I can't wait to get mine at the end of the month :)

Thanks for your help. I now know a lot more about saddles and dovetails. There may be more questions coming your way in the months ahead :D

Archived