Need some basic help

Hey there stargazers!

I recently aquired a telescope from a mate of mine but the thing i dont get about it is how to keep it stable and secure in a good position long enough to get a good view of the wonders in the night sky.

At the moment i get it set up and fix it in position but even the smallest of movements makes it impossible to keep fixed on even a star or the moon.

I thought resting it on my shoulder would be the most common sense method to use this thing but that clearly does not work.

I have made a sort of slope to rest it on with bricks with a little gap in between but this just scratches my scope plus the objects move across my vision once i do have it fixed on something to view and takes way to long.

So if anyone out there could help this aspiring astronomer i would be most grateful.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What sort of telescope is it ?

There are various methods of mounting scopes but we need to know what type we are talking about to offer suggestions.

For astronomy use the telescope needs to be mounted very solidly indeed.

Hi Wodgela

Welcome!!

First thing to realise is that we are moving...pretty quickly, in relation to everything that you are likely to want to look at. So any fixed mount for your telescope is going to give you issues of the object moving through your field of view.

You don't mention what scope you have so some details would be good but you are going to need some sort of moveable mount for your scope.

Someone will be able to recommend based on what scope you have.

Ok, just to make anything easier, normally it is best to put the scope on a mount, this not only keeps it stable as such but allows movement of the telescope in line with the sky as such. As you know, the earth moves so in effect the stars move from your eyesite, if you are just balancing the scope on something then seriously you are going to find it pretty frustrating to say the least, especially if the front of the scope is small as things will just move quickly. Even a tripod is better than a shoulder.

Hi Wodgela, welcome to SGL. What type of scope have you got? Is it a refractor (look straight throgh) or reflector (mirror at the bottom)? If you have, you will need a mount like an EQ3. You can check these out by clicking on the link at the top of the page, First Light Optics.

HTH

Gra.

Archived