Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice Needed.

TJExcalibur

I am new to all of this and to be honest I bought my LX90 12" because it was an absolute bargain from a local astonomer who was upgrading into serious astor photography. Otherwise I would have gone for something smaller. The girls here have offered to buy me some extras for the LX90 as I only have a barlow lens, a Meade MA 25mm and 15mm unknown make I think is a flossol. Having looked around but not having asked I was pondering on the Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlowlens 2.25x and the Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm Mark III EP. Are these suitable for the LX90 2"? Must admit that figuring out f/10 etc is a bit confusing.

The Hyperion zoom might be a good idea but not the barlow lens as it would deliver much more magnification than you can use. The 8mm setting on the zoom lens will give you 381x which is probably more than can be used much of the time anyway.

You probably ought to consider a low power eyepiece as well like a 40mm. Going for the 2" size would give you a much wider field of view but you will need to buy a 2" diagonal (if you do not alreay have one) to use 2" eyepieces. I would be a good move with a scope of that size and focal length I think. 1.25" eyepieces can be used with a 2" diagonal too via an adapter that comes with the diagonal.

All the above would be a big improvement over the eyepieces you are currently using.

Many thanks. I read on a German retailers site that buying both is ideal, but I suppose they would say that. I have been looking at a 2" diagonal, not cheap, the Meade 500 at over a £125 and the Baader at £175. I like the better field of view and I prefer to buy fewer items of a better quality. I will look at getting a 40mm.

The Hyperion zoom might be a good idea but not the barlow lens as it would deliver much more magnification than you can use. The 8mm setting on the zoom lens will give you 381x which is probably more than can be used much of the time anyway.

You probably ought to consider a low power eyepiece as well like a 40mm. Going for the 2" size would give you a much wider field of view but you will need to buy a 2" diagonal (if you do not alreay have one) to use 2" eyepieces. I would be a good move with a scope of that size and focal length I think. 1.25" eyepieces can be used with a 2" diagonal too via an adapter that comes with the diagonal.

All the above would be a big improvement over the eyepieces you are currently using.

Archived