Anyone heard of visionary scopes????

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a newbie looking for a first scope been watching this thread as was thinking of buying a SW150PL on eq3. What I would like to know is what is the advantage or disadvantage of the longer focal length.

Thanks in advance, Allan.

Great site here.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long time since I updated the thread, the clouds have been out in force so since getting the Skyliner 200p I have had very very little time actually using it but my very humble and limited opions are as follow.

Dobsonian mounts are a pain the use lol having to nudge the scope while trying to view a planted with modest to high mag eps is not a lot of fun but its deffo as solid as a rock!

The eq mount I have after a little modification can hold the 200p just fine, there is a little bounce when moving etc but very little and it settles as soon as your hands leave the knobs, for all the cash I spent on it it will do me just fine.

Id dearly love to have an all singing all dancing tracking mount but if I'm honest the thought of spending £600 or more on one turns my tummy.

To any of the newbies like me who is looking to know where to send their hard earned cash I can absolutely recommend the Skyliner 200p the views are very crisp and sharp the focuser moves nice and smoothly ( perhaps a bit fast but a dual speed would sort that ) and at the price for the scope on a dob mount i just dont think you can go far wrong.

I choose it over the eq mounted versions simply due to the fact the pricetag was all about the scope itself and not the mount. the mount can always be upgraded at a later date to improve things but you get a damn good scope and a perfectly usable mount from the onset.

As asked I have added a couple of pics of the mount i use, no idea of brand or any specs other than it came along with the visionary scope i started this thread over. I wonder is it possible to add some form of universal motor to add tracking to the system???

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

Jeff

My son picked up one of these visionaries at a car boot the other day for my little grandson to play with, he is 4yrs old and That i'm afraid is about their limit. I had a look at it and it feels cheap and tiny.

Also, looking at the mirror, it has the feel of one of those cheap shaving mirrors you can buy from Argos. This will be the real reason for things being fuzzy when viewed, not collimation. No amount of collimation will improve this scope. It is, basically, a toy, and not a serious piece of equipment

In fairness the review I read was on a 150 reflector and it compared the views to other 150s out there saying it was just as good. It was mainly the mount and general build quality it was slated for. I think they are very similar to the Phenix reflectors that sky's the limit sell, they freely admit to their 150 and 200 not being a parabolic mirror and not being as good as a skywatcher but they are half the price.

I would have said if anything the mount was the best part of that entire package, anyway it hardly matters about the quality of the scope as I didnt buy it in the end. I got the skyliner 200p Dob and bought the visionary mount from andy for very little cash so I have the Dob and eq mount, after a bit of ongoing modification the skyliner sits just fine on the mount I could do with an extra weight to counter the additional bulk of the 200p tho.

The mount was apparently notchy and stiff with jerky controls but they did say it could be sorted with a strip down. My first 'scope' was built by my 'heath robinson' brother and made from bleach bottles and a standard lamp stand as a mount lol, any mount seems stable to me :D

mmmm perhaps they have had feedback and sorted that issue, the joints seem to be well greased and to me just right, stiff without having to strain anything for them to move and deffo not notchy, the bolt threads were quite stiff but 5 mins with a little lube sorted all that.

For someone starting out ( like me ) its perfect for what I need. If i had the money I would get a fully sorted eq6 but unfortunately the cash just isnt there.

The one they tested could have been an iffy one. I have just had to strip and rebuild my auto dob mount because it was put together incorrectly and there is someone one this forum with a similar mount built incorrectly too. One thing for sure, they are not Japanese quality lol, the Chinese have a long way to go yet.

Archived