Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen MD5-Controller -- different questions

Good evening!

I have a couple of questions regarding a Vixen MD-5 Controller, and as you can tell from the questions, I don't have any experience with step-controllers... but I'm very willing to learn :-)

Practical questions:

p1) Whats the voltage needed to make it run? Is it rather "flexible" (like 6V-9V?) or do I have to reach a certain precise voltage?

p2) Are these controllers really *that* damageable by reversing accidentally the polarity?

p3) What current does a standard motor for the MD-5, together with the controller, "consume"?

p4) Can I run the controller using rechargeable batteries?

Theoretical questions:

t1) Whats the difference between the old motors used with an MD-5 controller and the new MT-1-motors? I heard they wouldn't be compatible.

t2) Can I reduce the risk of damage by reversing accidentally the polarity by simply putting a diode between battery and controller?

t3) If the voltage differs slightly from the design-value, does the motor rotate with a different speed, or will just its momentum be different?

t4) Whats the risk the controller will die in the near future, given its age? Are the components still available, so I could repair it? What about the motor -- as its not compatible with MT-1-motors, can I modify an MT-1-motor to work with the MD-5 controller?

Would be so great to get some help!

Have a nice evening!

Raphael

I am not familiar with the MD5 controller, but you should be careful about polarity. I have a fried DD2 controller in my scrap box, because a normal lead was plugged into it instead of the Vixen centre negative one.

I kept it in case one day I want to sit down with a volt meter and oscilloscope to find out which part died, although I doubt I will be able to repair it.

Here's the best I can do for something that is a long time out of production :-)

p1) Whats the voltage needed to make it run? Is it rather "flexible" (like 6V-9V?) or do I have to reach a certain precise voltage?

9V DC

p2) Are these controllers really *that* damageable by reversing accidentally the polarity?

Yup - see post above

p3) What current does a standard motor for the MD-5, together with the controller, "consume"?

Allow for between 1A and 2A

p4) Can I run the controller using rechargeable batteries?

If they meet the power consumption criteria, no reason why not.

t1) Whats the difference between the old motors used with an MD-5 controller and the new MT-1-motors? I heard they wouldn't be compatible.

Not compatible

t2) Can I reduce the risk of damage by reversing accidentally the polarity by simply putting a diode between battery and controller?

Need an electronics engineer for that one :-)

t3) If the voltage differs slightly from the design-value, does the motor rotate with a different speed, or will just its momentum be different?

t4) Whats the risk the controller will die in the near future, given its age? Are the components still available, so I could repair it? What about the motor -- as its not compatible with MT-1-motors, can I modify an MT-1-motor to work with the MD-5 controller?

Very, very discontinued and hence no spares, replacements or service (at least in the UK or from Japan). In terms of lifetime, we still have customers coming to us with 15 year old and more mounts that are running fine with and without motor drives BUT I have to say there is an increasing number that are calling/emailing to ask about replacement or alternative motor and/or controller sets for some of the much older mounts.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Thank you Keith and Pete for your feedback -- so I know I have to be really careful when inserting the batteries...

So bad if there aren't any spare parts available any more -- i found this picture on a German astronomy board: md5a.jpg

at least the integrated circuits seem to be quite solid (and not as difficult to solder as SMD-components) -- are the ICs still available?

Whats exactly the difference between the motors - maybe just the pin-configuration?

Would be great to get some more pieces of information! :D

Raphael

Archived