Definition of FUN!!!!

Rustmonkey

Trying to use a very old Tasco 60mm refractor with an awful mount and a missing finder scope whilst freezing your extremities.

Although I will say that the seeing is very good tonight.

Moon was sharp and saw Jupiter and 4 of its moons, possibly 5 . One was off to the right as you view it.

150p, EQ3 and Motordrive arrive tomorrow. Will be really interesting to see what difference a decent modern scope will make.:D

According to sky safari moons were : Ganymede, Europa, Io and Calllisto. Cool...mark them off

Congrats on your new scope.

I fear that fifth moon was more likely a star. The next brightest moon is Amalthea, which is closer to Jupiter than the other four and magnitude 14 (beyond a 150mm scope let alone a 60mm scope).

Your new scope should pick up five or six Saturn moons at a push and the vast majority of Messier objects.

Thanks. Yeah, I did check sky safari and right off the 5th as a star. Can't wait for the new one to arrive. I just hope the collimation is relatively ok. I believe they come with a small pin hole style eyepiece to do basic collimation. I don't know whether I need a Cheshire or a laser collimator. It seems that some ppl are anti cheshires?????

Trying to use a very old Tasco 60mm refractor with an awful mount and a missing finder scope whilst freezing your extremities.

:D

Flashback to me as a young lad with his dire Tasco in the early 70's.

But it was fun. :(

Archived