NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount choice

ampleamp

I have been looking hard at a new mount to replace my EQ6 (mainly for higher capacity but also better PEC/tracking etc).

I have reduced the choices down to the Gemini G53f or possibly the Mesu which has been getting good reviews. Taking account of capacity, ability and reliability, this decision has been narrowed by a combination of £ and availability. (I have lost interest in waiting for the EQ7/8 and I have no desire to be a beta tester for the new Meade).

TBH, I fancied the Gemini and was about to say yes, but I have been given opportunity at a second hand AP900GTO at a good price.

The 900 is a mount that is highly desirable, but is already 4 years old though in very good condition.

I throw this to the floor for any opinions on the AP900. Whatever I decide, I want this to be a positive decision and one that will hopefully last a good number of years.

Thanks,

Alistair

I have owned a Gemini G42 and an AP900 in the past and whilst both were excellent mounts I would not hesitate to recommend the AP900 - if it has the CP3 controller which will make it compatible with the soon to be released APCC software that is a bonus.

My AP900 was happy carrying a 70lb RCOS12.5 with a piggy-backed Tak FSQ. The only better piece of astro equipment I have ever owned is my AP1200. Both my AP mounts had less than 5 arc-seconds peak to peak PE which was reduced to less than 1 arcsecond using PemPro.

AP build quality is second to none IMHO and AP support is first class.

Good luck with your choice

Hi derrickf, thanks for your reply. The AP900 is certainly tempting and since I appear to have first dibs I really need to make a decision soon. I think the only thing putting me off is that it is already four years old but the more I look around, there seems to be a lot of older AP kit as people generally hang on to it In £ terms it is quite a bit cheaper than the Gemini (when you add in Pulsar etc) and I should easily be able to sell on the EQ6, so that is another consideration. ( I am talking myself into this AP!). Any other views?

I don’t envy your decision. I’ve spent the last year agonising over which mount to buy. I whittled the list down to the g53f .But if an AP900 ,G42 or even a Titan was to turn up before this summer I would spend a few sleepless nights .Lets us know which way you went . that’s if i cant guess already .

These are all good mounts. I have the pleasure of operating Yves' Mesu 2 at the moment and am deeply impressed by it. If I were in the market for a big mount I wouldn't hesitate but I'd choose where I bought it from. PM me by all means on this.

Olly

I bought a 2nd hand AP900 with the CP2 controller and have had no regrets. If the mount is in good condition 4 years old is not old. You could ask how frequently it has been used - most of my equipment is 2nd hand and because a. its taken care of and b. not actually used for that many hours each year age is not a factor I consider much, unless of course there have been specification changes.

Archived