Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two best filters for a newbie

Applemac

Hello, from reading the posts it appears the OIII, Neodymium and UHC are the filters to have. As they are quite expensive which should I buy first. I love looking at Jupiter, Saturn and my ultimate Orion. Yes, I'm south facing! I have a dslr adapter an want to get some shots soon, Im holding off until I am more familiar with the scope (4 days in) Orion Optics F6 Europa 200. You advice, as always is valuable...:icon_salut:

For nebulae the UHC is probably the most versatile but it has no benefit on planets at all. For planets the Neodymium is the only one of those that could enhance the view slightly. The Neodymium is nowhere near as effective on nebulae though. Personally I don't fiond I need a filter on the planets so I'd go for the UHC. The O-III is great for nebulae again but not quite as useful as the UHC.

I find the Neodyium filter is my most used, it's a great all around contrast filter. Better than a few light polution filters that I've used. It still gives contrast, but alows a lot more light through than the standard LP filters.

For nebulae I'd probably go with the UHC, but I've not noticed a huge difference between OIII and UHC. I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder and equipment used.

All the best,

Mark

I find the neodymium filter fairly useful for boosting contrast on Mars and Jupiter.

Out of the three suggested I would also go for a

UHC filter as well.

Next thing is to decide which one as they all differ slightly.

Archived