Star Walk for Ipad

JJoolz

So I'm pretty new to this sort of stuff so when I'm out looking at the stars I have this app at hand just to confirm what I'm seeing.

Not sure if many of you have the app but when you click on a star/planet etc it tells you the "Visual magnitude" of it.

I have 15x70 binos at the moment so was wondering what visual magnitude it could see?

Don't want to sound daft but I was just wondering as I don't want to be looking for something which my binos will simply not pick up.

Or is visual magnitude something completely different?

Thanks

Depends on your 15x70 (the budget ones are about half a magnitude less bright than the good ones), your sky conditions and your experience. Assuming you are relatively inexperienced and have a budget binocular, you'll probably struggle to pick up anything fainter than about mag 10, less for large objects and/or if your skies are light polluted.

I have the Celestron 15 x 70s and live in light polluted area. I can see down to Mag 9 with them.

I have the exact same binos and conditions so now I will know for future Stargazing.

Cheers all

Archived