NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help with a synguider and guiding

cal1985

Hi all, i have just bought a HEQ5 with a synguider and a celeston 80mm guide scope. the mount is fantastic once polor aligned the synscan points anywhere you want! my trouble is with the synguider and guide scope. i tried imaging orion last night and couldn't get the synguider to pick out a star.. when it did it would hop to and from different stars,, i came to the discussion that the guide stars i was using was to close. so i tried M31 and couldn't get the synguider to pick out any stars at all ... am i doing something wrong or have i bought a bad guide camera?? also im having great difficulty in placing the guide scope where i want it.. i cant seem to get my head around the guide rings and picking out a sutible star. would be so much easier with a finder scope on the guide scope... is this possible or do i just need to practice using the guide rings ?

as you can proberly tell im very new on the guiding part of this ! i have been using a eq2 for about 2 years but finally saved enough money for the good stuff!!

Many thanks

Cal

Archived