Normal or Defective EP?

Hey everyone.

I'm fairly new to the hobby, I purchased a Zhumell "10 Dob for my wife and I. (Sadly aside from an occasion its mostly just me, she doesn't like staying up when stars are out)

Sorry I'm off point.

The scope came with a 32mm GSO Wide Field and a 9mm Plossl. In my excitment I decided to buy a few extra EP's... I know I know.. bad..

In retrospect I realize I would have been fine with the EP the scope came with and maybe a barlow. Instead I also bought a Meade 8-24mm zoom and a ES 10mm 70' degree.

I noticed with the ES 10mm and to a lesser extent in the 32mm GSO what looked like eye lashes or metal flakes in the eyepieces. It's mostly unnoticable in the 32mm except when looking at the moon. It's VERY noticable along the edge extending up towards the center in the ES 10mm when looking at the moon, and you can see it when looking at Jupiter.

Is this normal? The view isin't really obstructed, it's just slightly annoying.. especially lunar viewing. Is this the kind of thing that most vendors will replace? Or will they tell me tough luck.. should I even bother or is this kind of thing normal.. like an occasional pixel on an LCD tv?

Also the Explore Scientific 10mm EP was pretty inexpensive.. I noticed that model isin't even sold on their website anymore, and all the EP they have seem to imply they are air/water tight and use highest standards of quality.. After having the 70' I'm beginning to wonder if the line of eyepiece I have might have had manufacturer quality issues?

Thanks in advance for the help all

I purchased a Zhumell "10 Dob for my wife and I.

I must try that one! (I won't succeed!)

Are the flecks perfectly static? It's possible there's just some dust on the eyepiece, check the front & back of them with a clean cotton cloth and/or blower.

If the dust is internal, you have every right to return them I would say.

Just wondering if the 'reflection' is your own eyelashes, this happens sometimes on widefield eyepieces, especially where there is some back lighting interference. Very dissappointing with the ES, sounds like it could be the anti-reflection coatings perhaps, if not eyelashes.

Archived