NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horsehead and Flame - 6hrs with unmodded canon 400D

split_city

Weather where I live has been rather kind to me over the last week with lovely clear skies. Certainly not perfect conditions as each night has either had gusty winds or the ambient temperature was sitting in the mid 20s (Celsius). I have recently put up some tarp as a windbreak, which has helped significantly dampen the wind.

Anyways, I have spent the last week imaging the horsehead and flame. I think this is as far as I can go with my setup unless I push for longer subs (15mins). Probably not doable with the wind and would be a test of my polar alignment as I don't guide in DEC due to unresolved issues in the DEC axis.

Here are the details

Scope: 8" Newt

Mount: EQ6

Camera: unmodded Canon 400D

ISO800

Exposure: 39x8mins and 5x10mins (total ~6hrs. Taken over 6 nights)

Guidescope: 60mm f/11 tasco refractor

Guidecamera: unmodded toucam

Filter: Hutech LPS

Ambient temperature: ranging between 18-27 degrees

A few nights the wind was gusting up above 30km/hr.

Stacked in DSS (lights, darks and flats) and processed using PS, plus Astronomy Tools actions.

Picture here

Any comments/advice/suggestions as to whether I can bring out anymore detail or is this probably the limit of what I can achieve with this setup?

Very nice! Your perseverance has captured good detail in the horsey considering the camera is unmodified. I think the detail is best in your first version.

My only suggestion is to get the screwdriver out and remove that nasty filter!

That's a really good image for an unmodded DSLR. I'm with Shibby. I prefer the first image as well. For me the flame nebula has a sort of smokey look to it, which I like.

It would be interesting to see how this would compare to an image taken by a modded camera. I have a modded 500D, but I've only managed to grab about 35 minutes on this target, so I can't really compare.

Nice one! :icon_salut:

Slightly off-topic, but how does your setup with your 8" newt cope with 30km gusts? Was it problematic or fine?

Cheers :icon_salut:

There are many examples taken with a modded camera. They obviously produce much better results given the increased sensitivity to hydrogen-alpha of these cameras. I'm just happy that I could produce something that resembles the horse.

I quickly tried some 8mins subs @ ISO800 on the Rosette Nebula last night. It was much more difficult to get anything come through so I might skip this target.

Re wind: I recently put up some tarp around the scope to act as a wind break. It has certainly helped to dampen down the wind. Without the tarp, I was generally unable to image if the wind was >15-20km/hr. Now, I can still stay out there even when the wind is around 25-30km/hr. The tarp doesn't completely block out the wind, but it helps.

Cheers :icon_salut:

I quickly tried some 8mins subs @ ISO800 on the Rosette Nebula last night. It was much more difficult to get anything come through so I might skip this target.

Re wind: I recently put up some tarp around the scope to act as a wind break. It has certainly helped to dampen down the wind. Without the tarp, I was generally unable to image if the wind was >15-20km/hr. Now, I can still stay out there even when the wind is around 25-30km/hr. The tarp doesn't completely block out the wind, but it helps.

Must admit I'm looking forward to having a go at the Rosette this year. But it's having to wait behind a long list of targets at the moment!

Good point about the tarp, I might give that a go. It's only really a problem for me if the wind is from the south or west. East and north is pretty well sheltered.

Archived