Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help deciding on a telescope

Hello I'm new to the forums and need some help on deciding which telescope to buy.

I would like a computerised goto telescope an found 3 which I like.

The first one is the skywatcher 130p but can't seem to find any uk based sellers.

Then there's the celestron nexstar 130 or the skyprodigy 130. I really like the skyprodigy and want to know of there's much of a difference between the both of them. This may sound stupid but I wanted to know if the skyprodigy would be able to align itself in a clear sky with no visible stars? Would it wok like that or would there have to be stars?

Also is there any dobsonian goto telescope and are they better than Newtonian scopes?

Thanks.

I have a Skyprodigy 130, I bought from the US and had it shipped to Australia, so much cheaper. Just a note concerning the camera calibration; it works, it works very well. Even during a full moon, in the direction of the moon, it can find between 50-80 stars, in most other directions it finds at least 100. It only needs 20-50 to get a match. The camera has settings for different conditions. I use from my balcony which faces N, with decent views E to W, so I can't use the full calibration because it requires a 360 rotation. But I use a manual method where I point it at 3 different locations, W to E and it exposes, scans the image, tells me the number of stars, then does its calculations after each step. Within a few minutes I am set. I'm happy with the scope.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived