First scope for years, damn decisions.

I am very close to buying the Skyliner 150P and am curious as to the quality of the EPs that come with the scope. Are they any good or will I need to replace them and if so what with?

I will be hitting my max budget with the price of the scope and won't be able to buy anything extra for a little while. As this scope is just over £200 I was wondering if I might be better off buying something like the Celestron 130EQ which I can get for £125(just found out this has a parabolic mirror too), this would give me some leftover cash to buy a few extras.

I am also still not sold on the Dobsonian mount either. The other scope I have considered is the Skywatcher 130P.

I hate making decisions and my head is now in bits :)

The supplied eyepieces are OK to get you started. If they supplied good ones the scope would cost £80 more - there is no such thing as a "free lunch" !.

That said, I would go for the max aperture that your budget will allow now as that will make a more noticeable difference to the views than upgraded eyepieces, in my opinion.

There is a thriving used market for eyepieces and other astro stuff which can save you £'s. Have a look at the UK Astro Buy & Sell website.

Better to buy the 150... then save £30 for eyepieces

if you go for the 130 it's much harder to save for another 'scope when you get aperture fever... a dob can always be mounted on a tripod at a later date if req'd

Really recommend the 150P. It's a fantastic 'scope. The eyepieces supplied aren't brilliant but they do the job. You could look at upgrading them at a later date if you wanted. When I got my first 'scope I stuck with the eyepieces it came with for months (Skywatcher 130P, think they're the same eyepieces as what comes with the 150P).

Archived