NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Morning to you all,

I've just purchased an 8" skywatcher dobsonian based on the reviews from members of this site. I also read the sticky regarding ep's and bought a skywatcher ultra wide 6mm ep. According to the sticky I'd only need a 15mm to have a decent starting collection if you include the 10mm and 25mm and the 6mm i've also bought. I just wanted to ask if I need a barlow lens as I dont think this scope comes with one and if so what strength would I need?

I was also wondering if there is anything else I would need to go with this set up that I may have forgot? I bought a collimation device also.

I just wanted to thank you all for the invaluable advice you give so freely it really has stopped me making some mistakes and also fueled the addiction for stargazing.

Matthew

I have indeed. I've been studying the sky for a while now with a small beginner telescope and also an app on my phone I have helps a lot for locating objects in the sky. I also have Phillips guide to the night sky but if you have any other literature that I would benefit from I'd be grateful for the advice?

I'm going to the local library later today to see what collection of astronomy books they have to enhance my viewing and knowledge of the sky.

I'm currently reading turn left at Orion (OR LEFT TURN AT oRION - can't remember) but its really good so far and is usually well recommended on these forums.

I have the same scope and and I have to say that the two things I'm going to get myself (over the colimation tube and extra EPs) are an adjustable chair to sit on because it can literally be a pain in the back after a while and also Right Angled star finding scope - neither are essential to kick off with though so just enjoy the scope and make your own shoppping list a few weeks in - good luck anyway

Steve

Archived