Returning to Childhood Hobby.

Hi, I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. I'm now 46 but first got into stargazing as a small boy with a homemade scope built by my much older brother. Later in my mid teens we would spend many a night looking at the stars with his refractor which at the time seemed great and it did the job ok. Now I'm a bit ill and have time on my hands I am buying a scope to get back into it. I am looking at a Celestron 130EQ a Skywatcher 130P the Skywatcher 150p Dobsonian. I know the dob is the best scope but I am still not 100% sold on the Dobsonain mount. That about sums me up for now:icon_salut:

hi and welcome , dobs work just fine on thier mounts as long as you know your way around the sky and can starhop from one point another ,

im a bit of a goto fan , you could try looking for a second hand scope ? pity the for sale srction has been closed on here .

FLO and RVO are just two of the better shops in uk and are worth having a look at , they sometimes have clearance items , also www.astrobuysell.co/uk

cheers

Hi, Welcome to SGL!

A bigger dob's not everything, all setups have their different advantages, but what is it that you're not sure about with the dob?

The dob won't make it easy for me to use the scope for any terrestrial viewing and tracking/studying a star/planet will be more difficult at high mag. If I could afford it I would buy two lol

Archived