NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Narrowband Monkey Head Nebula (NGC2174)

Martin-Devon

I took this last Monday whilst the StarGazing Live episode was on - for a change the conditions were perfect, clear night, no wind and no Moon - very unusual! The image suffers a bit from some reddish stars and blue halos, not sure how to process these out - let me know if you have any tips. I've pasted in a thumbnail of a monkey head photo in top left corner as well just in case the resemblance to a monkey's head eludes you...

8x10 min HA, 7x10min OIII and 7x10min SII, all calibrated and 1x bin. Taken with Ikharus 102mm refractor & Atik314L.

6756614549_f6c3cbb264_b.jpg

By the way, is the star colour and halo something that has cropped up in processing or is just that the colour correction on the Ikharus isn't quite perfect? I do hear that those Ian King scopes are smoking, though, and this would seem to prove it!

Archived