Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Auto track mount for 550D, wide field AP

Walky

I am testing the waters with wide field AP with my canon 550D. I would like to do AP with my camera and lenses ranging from 18mm to 250 mm with an auto guided mount until I graduate into my first time ever telescope, which should happen Probably next year.

What mount?

I want to have fun and be able to add a telescope ( refractor Or reflector , don't know yet, don't have enough info)

Sorry to answer a question with a few more questions...

Any thouhgts on the budget and do you have items like a stable tripod, ball and Socket and Gear heads already...

Also how important is portability...

There are quite a few optiosn available depending on how much you want to spend and how compact the kit needs to be...

I personally use an EQ3-Pro with my DSLRs' it is capable of being guided but that will require a additional guidescope setup...

I have tried makign a finder guider with the Skywatcher Synguider but frankly in my opioion it doesn't cut the mustard... Put the same standalone guider on an ST80 400mm f5 achromat and it works a treat...

The QHY5 works well in finderguider setups but that means a Computer (Netbook/Laptop) is required to do the guiding...

So far haven't used guiding up to 200mm FL but its something I might look at in the future .. I ahve the kit available to do it form my other setups...

Typically I will use 4min unguided subs at 50mm dropign to 2min unguided at 200mm.. Normally i don't drift align the mount and just use the built in polarscope...

Other mounts to look at are the new Vixen Polarie.... and The Astrotrac...

These are normally used unguided .. relying onthe mechanical accuracy of the mechanism and decent polar alignment to produce the goods...

Here's a few from the EQ3 Pro Unguided with a Moddified 1000D and the Canon 50mm f1.8 EF II otherwise known as the "Nifty Fifty"....

Cygnus Nebs 2 1/2 hours Total Exposure Modified 1000D Canon 50mm f1.8 @ f4 with AstronomiK CLS-CCD clip in on EQ3 Pro Unguided (24x240s)

SGL_WF_1%20Cygnus%20Nebs.jpg

Really should post the less green version... :)

And another from a South Gower clif top of the Box Ally tripod...

Summer Milkway Sag - Oph Mosaic Modified 1000D Canon 50mm F1.8 @ f4 on EQ3 Pro unguided...

SGL_WF_2%20Milky%20Way%20Sag-Oph.jpg

Peter..

Well, I have no idea what those pieces you mention are. Your pictures are great, BTW.... I am envious!

I have a 50mm f/1.8, a 55-250mm and the std. 18-55mm lens. I have a fairly stable camera tripod, but I:

--- want a guided tripod or mount (is that the same or when you refer to mount is the thing that goes on top of the tripod?) - that I can use with the camera, with GoTo and tracking to take the camera to my subject. No budget limit, but no exagerations, since I will not be carrying a scope on top of it.

I plan to use the mount with a future scope which i don't know what will be.. or if it will be. Have no knowledge to select one today. Or I would just keep using it with my camera, no further investment.

I have noticed that the investment to see fairly good details is big, so I am taking it slow to see if I will continue developing in this area. I don't have the seeing skies nor the space to house a big instrument and it would have to carried out, no windows to peek from, they have screens and crystal.

Archived