Very newbie without scope!!!

Good morning all, im new to astonomy and stargazing. Im in the process of buying my first scope but have a tight budget. I want something thats half decent so i dont loose interest, but dont wont to through money at really expensive ones.

Ive been looking at Skywatcher 114 and 130. Ive heard that i should stay away from non probolic scopes???? in that case would a 114p be a good scope or should i get the 130(non probolic) as the 130p is a bit beyond my budget.

Im sure im not the first or last to ask what must seem like silly questions. Any advice would be gratefully received

Nothing silly about your questions. I hesitate recommending scopes on equatorial mounts for beginners as it can take a fair while to get used to setting them up. A dobsonian is a lot easier to use, in my view. Why don't you join an Astro society and see if you can borrow some of their scopes to help you make your mind up?

Thanks for reply. Would i be better off buying a skymax refractor between £100-£200 and learn the ropes so to speak! What would i be able to see with a refractor? im in a good dark spot on the south coast, no streat lights etc.

I would get some good binoculars initially, see if you like the hobby and in the meanwhile you can save up for a scope. I did exactly that and eventually purchased the reasonably priced SW Heritage 130; since my budget is also tight. My 130 gives good views of lunar and planetary targets and some of the brighter DSOs. Remember you always need to save a bit of cash for extras: Eyepieces, collimation tools etc... that costs a fair bit too over time!!!! - the SGL guys will confirm that!

It's very competitive in that price range so I think most scopes would show some good views. The difference between them is not great but each has some advantage in ease of setup, comfort of viewing, large field of view versus magnification power and so on. My advice is to try before you buy and for that you need to go to an observing meeting of an astro society and ask questions and look through scopes. A lot of people are trying to google themselves to a decision but there's nothing like actually handling an instrument to know which one is the one for you.

if moneys tight try a 150p dob from FLO just abit more than the 130p but its bigger and eaier to use and would be easier to sell if you dont like the hobby. i would go for the 150p better veiws. but as hemsy said a good pair of binocs are always good way to start.First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

or http://www.scopesnskies.com/bargain-zone.html theres a 130p in the telescope section

Many thanks all for replys and advice. I am now looking at the Dobs 150, seems to be alot of tube and mirror for your pound!

It looks like a perfect starter scope for me as i have two daughters who are bound to want alook at the skys, reviews ive read say that the solid wooden base prevents alot of vibration so easy for children to use.

(1) Would i be correct in assuming that due to the decent size(6in), it should satisfy me for a few years with maybe a few lense upgrades etc. (what will i be able to see)

(2) When the chilblains are a bit older or when i want some Daddy sky time, would the the scope fit onto an eq mount? for more refined sky searching.

(3) Is it possiable to take photos via this type of telescope?

All help and advice is gratefully received.

Yes, it will be good for a few years, I should think. Or maybe just one if you're very keen.

It can be put inside "tube rings" and then mounted on an eq mount.

Some reflectors may not allow you to reach focus with some cameras, like DSLRs. You should ask your dealer about which cameras can reach focus with this tube.

Archived