NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is it possible

titan79

This may seem like a really stupid question to those who know but is it possible to use a dslr with binoculars or a spotting scope for basic astrophotography ? Sorry if this is a dumb question but just trying to get the best option for me starting out

I dont know about the spotting scope, but a no-no for the bins. I cant really envision anyway that you could realistically pair the two together in any useful way, you'd be better off buying a cheap 70-300 lens and using that - however, then you run into star dragging issues. Whilst there are cheap ways to get into astrophotography, the results can be disappointing - however, you could always try your hand at some widefield stuff, wide lens, high ISO and 20 sec exposures then stack them in DSS.

Thats sort of what i was aiming for with my budget what camera do you think would be ideal for this and is it easy to get a tripod for most dslr....... i have been looking around and most people think the canon 1100d would be a good camera to start with ,do you think this would be good for wide angle shots of the night sky

You can control the camera from your laptop ? To what end would this be used for simple shutter release or things i dont even know about yet lol ..... also should i be looking at a simple camera tripod or getting a EQ mount ( can you even use a dslr with a EQ mount ) . Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure iam matching my budget with my expectations .

You can control the camera from your laptop ?
Yes.
To what end would this be used for simple shutter release or things i dont even know about yet lol .....
Yes, virtually everything the camera can do can be computer controlled. You can do things from simply operating the shutter to a complete AP session set up and then run unattended. The software has been written specifically for Canon cameras.
also should i be looking at a simple camera tripod or getting a EQ mount ( can you even use a dslr with a EQ mount ) .
You can certainly use a DSLR with an EQ mount (generally with a suitable adapter to use it direct) and you will need a driven EQ mount for long exposures unless you want star trails. For star trails you can certainly use a normal camera tripod.
Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure iam matching my budget with my expectations .
No problem :) Far better to ask lots of questions than buy the wrong kit - that's what we're here for :D A great place to help each other!

Does the software come with the camera or would i have to buy it , if so which would be best for a 1100d . and which motordriven eq mount do you think would be suitable for me ....... thanks again for the help.

Archived