Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

web cam quandry

Thought I might take this oportunity to pick you're collective brains. I fancy a bit of supernova hunting and as I understand it the method is to make a sketch of a particular bit of sky and keep observing it over time until you see a new point of light. I wondered if it were possible to take a snapsot with a webcam for the purposes of comparison. As I have an altazimuth setup I would only be using short exposure times. I have seen stuff for sale that is a small camera to fit into the eyepiece and a usb to feed into a laptop. would one of those be suitable? Cheers in advance for your answers

A webcam is much more suited to planetary imaging. It is unlikely to be sensitive enough to catch much from DSO's.

However, I'm sure I saw a post this morning showing a fair effort at M42 using a modded webcam.

Archived