Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SKywatcher HEQ5Pro + Skywatcher Powertank

Simms

I recently received a Skywatcher Powertank for my birthday and havent really had a chance to test it out in the field yet. However, I have setup the scope/mount + powertank in the conservatory and all works fine - however, when slewing the mount (using GOTO) the powerlight on the HEQ5 flashes, now this doesnt happen when I have the mount plugged directly into the mains. My question is - is this a problem? It seems to slew/track correctly (although haven`t tried it out in anger yet) but I`ve not seen this before so obviously I a a tad concerned - does anyone else use a powertank (or similar) with this mount and if so, is what I am seeing normal? Hopefully its nothing to worry about and very soon I`ll be able to venture away from my backyard to one of a few Darksites I have located around the county and spend a good few hours actually seeing what my setup is capable of! :)

Thanks in advance all.

This is normally a sign of the supply voltage being too low...

How long has the power tank been charged for?

using the supplied wallwart charger it can take a couple of days to charge the larger 17 AH powertank...

Peter...

Well, I put it on charge when I recieved it and it has the `fully charged` light on already - maybe naively I have taken that at face value?

Maybe... :)

The SLA batteries in the units don't like being left discharged and should be topped up at regular intervals even if they aren't used...

I have often wondered how the distributors and resellers manage to do this...

A lot of cells have a manufacturing date and recharge before date marked on them...

I would leave it on charge for a day or two and see what happens and if it doesnt make any difference contact the retailer..

Peter...

Maybe... :)

The SLA batteries in the units don't like being left discharged and should be topped up at regular intervals even if they aren't used...

I have often wondered how the distributors and resellers manage to do this...

A lot of cells have a manufacturing date and recharge before date marked on them...

I would leave it on charge for a day or two and see what happens and if it doesnt make any difference contact the retailer..

Peter...

Will do that Billy, cheers for the advice.

Have you checked the connection to the powertank? Once I had a loose connection with the cigarrette socket of the battery and the light on the mount started flashing. The mount then stopped halfway through a slew when doing the star alignment. All I did after was ensure that the cable was in the socket securely and it worked fine after that.

Archived