Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

T-thread adaptors

jaycee900

Hi, i want to use my Canon EOS400D with my Nexstar 4SE which I've just ordered, i will buy a T-ring obviously for my type of camera, the thing is, how do you utilise the telescopes optional lenses...so far I've found this;

Antares 1.25in to T thread adaptor | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Am i correct in thinking this connects to my telescope eyepiece, which then i can add a barlow or other lens inside, then attach my camera via a t-adaptor?

Are there others out there that this kind of job, or are there adaptors that allow connection of my Canon lenses, excuse my newbie nature, but just connecting my camera straight to the telescope would be losing power/focus!?

Hmm. Your terminology is a little out, so please bear with me, as I think you're asking:

Am i correct in thinking this connects to my telescope focusing tube, which then i can add a barlow or other eyepiece inside, then attach my camera via a t-mount?

The answer to this question is yes. You can also unscrew the nosepiece - the narrower section, upper left in the photo - and screw it directly into your T-ring (the thing which fits the bayonet mount on your camera). This enables prime-focus imaging (i.e. no glass between the secondary mirror and your camera's sensor), which you may well prefer to use instead of using a 2x Barlow when getting images of larger DSOs, or if you want to capture Jupiter's moons when they're spread wide apart.

I would comment that you're likely to be restricted to imaging brighter objects, as longer exposures will result in frame rotation on the 4SE's alt-az mount, and it has a comparatively narrow aperture, so it lets in less light than a wider 'scope does.

Archived