NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomiser's SC1.5 vs SC3 : feedback?

themos

I am thinking of going for the SC1.5 (for ToUcam Pro PCVC740K) offered by Astronomiser.

But what about the B&W options? I can see that I would then need a filter wheel and even then I would need to focus more times than the rest of my equipment warrants. Has anyone gone for the B&W options? Is it a setup that I would find useful later when I get an ED80 and a meaty Mak/Newt, say? Or should I be looking to upgrade the camera in more drastic ways when that day comes?

Thanks

The mono version has several advantages over the colour version, I have an SC3 which got me started in CCD imaging.

1) Sesitivity - there is no bayer matrix in the mono version so each pixel gets the light unfiltered. There is also just one big "grey" pixel instead of four (RGBG) that the colour version uses so you get more light again. When the wrong colour of light hits the colour filter it gets lost, rather than redirected.

2) Narrow band useage. If you Ha filter with a colour webcam you are only using those pixels that respond to the light colour that your filter lets through. With Ha you get 3/4 of the sensor getting no light at all as the Ha filter only lets red light through.

3) Optional simpler processing. If you are starting out, like I was, you can do a mono image and leave it at that, there's quite often no need to do RGB if your target is an emmission nebula because there's nothing in the image except narrow band Ha anyway. You can do RGB, but Ha only looks nice. Some of Rog's masterpieces are Ha only and they are spectacular.

4) Speed. Getting from capture to posting takes time in several areas. Exposure - you score with the mono version, processing - ditto, unless you do RGB.

That said, I'd like a LX colour webcam at some point in the future. They're great for the M27 and M57 type of thing.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived