Extras for Celestron NexStar 127 SLT or 4SE

We have decided to buy one of these two scopes, although still undecided about which one: either would meet our requirements. We went to a stargazing night last night and saw lots of scopes and received lots of advice. But now we need to make a list of extras needed. We know about the power cable and power pack, but what else?

The advice on the forum to take our time in making our decision and to meet up with others has been great.

Karen

Both those types need dew shields / heated dew bands / both as their designs have a glass corrector at the top end of the tube which is a dew-magnet.

Other than that, a red torch plus a good guide to the night sky, I'd say go with the supplied eyepieces etc and see how you get on.

....Do I need any filters?

Not initially although some use something to reduce the brightness of the moon. Personally I don't though, even with my 250mm scope.

There are just so many accessories that it's best if you get some observing experience with the scope so that you can make choices based on your preferences.

Be warned though - it's so easy to spend more than you have on the scope on accessories !.

John nailed it with his comment on dew, a visit to a local group would definitely help too.

both Telescopes have great portability which will come in handy for breaks away and will give some nice views should you try a location with some darkish skies.

I have the Astrozap dew sheild for my 127 SLT and also the Maplin 3 in 1 powertank. You can get the cable for this from FLO. I also have a Celestron Ultima 2x barlow. I have also recently invested in a new 24mm ep, but the 25mm supplied with the scope is reasonable to be getting on with.

I have the MAK127, this case fits it perfectly Large Storage Case : Flight & Rugged Cases : Maplin Electronics often on sale for £30. The dew shield is a must - also a moon filter 'cos the moon is so bright. A good power tank is this one 3-in-1 Portable Jumpstarter : Jump Starters : Maplin Electronics and a power lead http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/power-cable-celestron-slt.html. You WILL want some better eyepieces and the BSTs at Skies the Limit fit the bill nicely at only £41 each - I would get the 25mm and 12mm as starters.

Thank you for the feedback, as I didn't have a clue what the 'must' have extras were, or the possible things to consider. Now I have to decide which scope (I read the long thread a couple of days ago about the quality of the tripod v's magnification). I saw several Nexstar SE scopes last night, plus the Skywatcher 127 on quite a light tripod, but not the two I'm deciding between. There doesn't seem to be a shop in West Wales selling these scopes (maybe Cardiff), but I did find a shop in Bristol that sells both scopes and I hope to go and have a look at them. Having an idea of extras and their prices before I go will be a help too. Busy with work at the mo and I doubt I'll get to Bristol for a few weeks. Trying to be patient ...

Archived