Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Friendly machine shop for small jobs?

Penguin

Over on the Mounts page, I asked some questions about the gearbox in my TAL-1M, which is slipping. The discussion has included options for fixing it which will involve fabricating some replacement fixing pins. I also would like to [make|cast|somehow fashion] another bracket so I can try a borrowed 6" refractor on the mount (the TAL-1 mount has a non-standard bracket with integral 4" scope rings). There are also various other little bits of fabricating that I would like to do but don't have the tools.

In times past you would go to the village blacksmith or a small local machine shop, or a car nut with his own workshop for such small jobs but these days, if you can find one at all, they invariably are not interested.

So what do you DIY guys do for such little jobs? Can anyone advise?

--- Alistair.

Hi Alistair.

I have returned your email with my contact details.

I have had a read through of the thread and I cannot see too much of a problem sorting that out.

If you send me the gear box we will soon have you up and running again.

Thanks

Graham

Archived