Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equatorial mount

I am interested in buying a 6 inch telescope

There are a few things I need to know

The branded ones such as Celestron, Orion are about $100 more in India than what is in Amazon

Should I go for an Indian Telescope which is a lot cheaper

The best buy in India among the branded ones is Sky Watcher

Another important question is should I go for an Equatorial mount or Altazmuth or Dobsonian

I have to take the telescope to the terrace for viewing

I want to know how difficult will the equatorial mount be, will have to assemble every time I take it and use it or once assembled can I carry the whole assembled unit to the terrace and keep it back as such after use

I have read that astrophotography is quite costly

If I opt for Dobsonian can photograph

There is one particular telescope that has interested me

Orion StarBlast 6i IntelliScope Reflector Telescope is astrophotography possible with this or with this Orion SkyQuest XT6i IntelliScope Dobsonian Telescope

dobsonion telescopes are not suitable for astrophotography with long exposures but planetary and lunar photography is possible with a webcam. If you wish to do long exposure photography you need a good eq mount some get good results with a celestron cg5gt but the minimum usually recommended is the skywatcher heq5 if you use either of these mounts you don't want to put large scopes on them. This is an excellent book on astrophotography it tells you what you need and more importantly why

First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

Hope that helps and more importantly welcome to sgl

edit I have seen some decent pics taken with a 150 on a cg5gt so it is possible on that mount

Archived