NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90 EQ1 advice needed

Hi all :)

I am still looking to get a decent scope to replace my cheap department store one. I am wanting advice on the model mentioned above and I know most of you will want to say get a dob get a dob and I am considering it but right now I want advice on this particular model so sorry to sound so blunt :(

I have been told that a 90mm mak will do well on moon and planets however my concern is the EQ1 mount. Now I have heard some pretty bad things about it and I am wondering is it sturdy enough to support the 90mm mak for good views of the planets without too much vibration. The sky at night magazine seem to like the EQ1 but others on this forum would disagree so I am a bit confused :)

Your advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

i have the 90 as my grab n go, the EQ1 will be fine, the 90 isnt that heavy at all.

my horizon 8115 takes the 90 with no issues at all and the EQ1 is more substantial.

i do think the 102 mak is better value for money mind, the 90 is a good telescope none the less

it is the extra light gather that makes it for me, there have been times when i think, should have bought the 102 (apeture fever)

the 90 and the 102 both have 1.25" fit and to be honest, i havnt come across any decent EP's higher than 32mm.

if you do decide on the mak90, dont bother with EP's lower than 10mm, the mags are just too high (in my opinion) for the little pup.

a 25mm, 18mm, 12mm should do you proud and maybe a decent 32mm if your feeling like spoiling yourself :)

Archived