Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another camera thread *sigh*

Virtual Cold

Hi folks, sorry to start yet another thread on this subject, but I could really do with a hand.

My birthday is coming up and I'm planning on putting any money I receive toward a DSLR. I'm reluctant to spend much more than £300 and I'm hoping it'll serve not only as a way of getting into astrophotography but also for just day to day use e.g. photographing bands, cats, the forest where I live - that sort of thing.

Anyway, I'd be using the camera in conjunction with the equipment in my signature. I realise I'm quite limited given that I am unable to track objects at the moment but I'm keen to have a play around nonetheless. I'll no doubt upgrade my mount some time in the next year or so but if I'm going to invest in a camera it has to be now as PhD payments start again soon :D

So, I've been looking at the Canon 450d as there seem to be a few reasonably priced ones floating about on ebay.

I'm in a wee bit over my head but am eager to learn! Any questions/suggestions welcome!

Many thanks,

Danny.

A 450D is a great camera for astro and daytime use. Without an RA motor on your mount, you will really struggle to get pics of anything other than the moon, but it will be good at that. If you get a nice fast wide angle lens you could shoot startrails or 20-30sec widefield shots and stack them up until you can add a motor or upgrade the mount. The 150P on a driven EQ3-2 is not ideal for AP, but you can get some satisfying images with a bit of effort. That was the kit I used until late last year.

If you get a nice fast wide angle lens you could shoot startrails or 20-30sec widefield shots and stack them up until you can add a motor or upgrade the mount. The 150P on a driven EQ3-2 is not ideal for AP, but you can get some satisfying images with a bit of effort. That was the kit I used until late last year.

Cheers Rik!

Yeah, that's basically what I have planned until funds allow me to do otherwise. To be honest, I'd be more than happy with that!

The effort you put in seems to be worth it! Those pictures are great :D I sort of know a friend of a friend of a friend who has the same set up and has achieved some phenomenal stuff with just RA and DC drives.

If I had half a brain I'd try and save for a better mount first - it just doesn't seem achievable at the moment though sadly.

Eyeing up a couple on ebay as we speak. Any comments/warnings/suggestions would be welcome!

Do people generally trust ebay with this sort of thing or would I be better off buying new? I don't think I've ever even considered spending this sort of money on ebay before :D

Archived