Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing question for a 200p EQ5

Ok, I've balanced my scope on the tripod in RA and Dec as described in the manual. BUT! I've noticed if I point the scope up in a vertical position, the weight of the focuser and finder scope pull it over. Is this right? What can I do to counter this?

Help please!

Dave.

Yes, you can rotate the scope into a different position to gain balance but that may put the EP in a less than ideal position.

Personally for visual work I don't worry about it and in fact I'm about to mod the scope to allow me to rotate it at will.

so the jubilee clip sits there while the rings are loose enough to just rotate and the JC stops the whole thing sliding through?

clever.

Got it in one :D

If you are using the scope for visual observing it's a good way of rotating the tube to get the eyepiece in a viewable position without the tube sliding down when the rings are slackened off. For imaging use I find the Jubilee clip is more useful as a means of getting balance quickly should the OTA be removed. Basically butting the clip up hard against the top ring.

Yep but I'll probably tighten the rings up a little after I've rotated it

Cracking idea but sadly not mine

Oh yes the rings should be re-tightened once the tube has been rotated.

Also it's not my idea -

Astro-baby used a spare set of rings in here tutorial Rotating Rings for Reflector Telescopes

And the Wilcox rings have been documented here http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/135943-wilcox-rotating-rings.html

Hope that helps

Archived