Upgrading from Celestron ST80 to Mak dilemma

Hi everyone

I've been using a Celestron ST80 (last one on this page: http://bit.ly/zGZ3lK) for a couple of years now and would like to upgrade.

I would like something relatively compact and light while providing a wide field of view similar to my ST80 (i love looking at Orion's sword with this thing). My interests are DSO and open clusters.

Based on the criteria above, should i be looking at a Mak at all?

Thanks. G

Hi

Not really no. When looking for a wide field of view you need to check the f/ratios of the scopes. This will tell you how wide a field they have.

The lower the f/ratio the wider the field.

Maks generally have high f/ratios like f/15. What you're after is something around f/6.

An f/6 or lower (faster) scope will give you the big wide fields you are after.

HTH

Regards Steve

not really. if it's wide views you are after a newtonian reflector or a refractor would be much better. To be fair if it's deep space you want nothing beats apparture and for that a reflector is best value. however a refractor is quite a bit more portable. you haven't stated your budget. A 127 mak or 150 would certainly see more however a 130p 0r 150p would see more and give a wider view. The most compact 130p is the First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

the most portable 150p is First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

the skywatcher 130p in any of its incarnations is a good scope the 150p is even better

Archived