Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 2841 - Inclined Spiral Galaxy in Ursa Major

DarkerSky

A nice galaxy that was easy to find on the outskirts of Ursa Major, 20 arc minutes from a 6th magnitude star. The galaxy itself appeared distinctly oval with N-S elongation. Much brighter core, with a gradual fade to its edges. Galaxy is magnitude 9.2, so relatively easy. Distance is 46 - 50 mly

NGC2841.png

Sketched from 12" x124 magnification.

14 January - 22.10UT

That looks great! Im glad you are able to catch some detail and actually see some details on galaxies outside the messier list.

Unfortunately for me, galaxies are out of the reach of my 8" where i live. Even M81 is a faint, nearly invisible fuzz that disappears against a bright background :)

im hoping that in the near future i will be able to purchase a large size dob, like a 12" or 14". Hopefully that will make some of the brighter galaxies like M51, M109, M108, M81 & M82, etc... more accesable for me and maybe even show some spiral structure on some...

If not, i wouldnt mind taking a large dob out to a dark sky as well so that it can blow my mind with galaxies and other objects! :D

Archived