Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first DSO image - M42

Slim

So I finally managed to to get my first DSO image recently. I've had an LX modded webcam for a few months now but just haven't found the time or skies to image anything. Captured using Sharpcap, 20x 8s exposures, 10 darks, processed in DSS and tidied up with Gimp. What I'm looking for is any advice or opinions on what I did right and what I might have done to improve the end result. It's all totally new to me and more than a little bewildering.

Orion130112edit.jpg

That's a pretty darn good shot of the core of the nebula.

Even with the long focal length of the 250P (assuming that's the scope you used) I'd think you should get longer than 8 seconds unguided on a NEQ6?

Try for 30 second subs, or at least 20 seconds.

At that length you should have the image FILLED with nebulosity, the bits outside this are still quite bright and will easily show up in slightly longer exposures. Keep this set though for the trapezium stars incase that area starts to burn out with the longer subs.

Also, I'd possibly check focus... looks pretty close and it may just be the tiny FOV of the camera that makes it look a little soft... but a Bahtinov mask couldn't hurt if you don't have one?

The below is ghastly and i don't for a minute suggest you actually use it, but a quick levels stretch showed there is more data in there to be had... may need some careful layering though to get rid of the lines?

Very nice first attempt though!

Ben

post-23494-133877719355_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty darn good shot of the core of the nebula.

Even with the long focal length of the 250P (assuming that's the scope you used) I'd think you should get longer than 8 seconds unguided on a NEQ6?

Try for 30 second subs, or at least 20 seconds.

At that length you should have the image FILLED with nebulosity, the bits outside this are still quite bright and will easily show up in slightly longer exposures. Keep this set though for the trapezium stars incase that area starts to burn out with the longer subs.

Also, I'd possibly check focus... looks pretty close and it may just be the tiny FOV of the camera that makes it look a little soft... but a Bahtinov mask couldn't hurt if you don't have one?

The below is ghastly and i don't for a minute suggest you actually use it, but a quick levels stretch showed there is more data in there to be had... may need some careful layering though to get rid of the lines?

Very nice first attempt though!

Ben

[ATTACH]77556[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your input Ben. Focus was just with the old Mk I eyeball and a Bahtinov mask is something I will be getting. Could you explain a little more about the careful layering you talked about or point me in the direction of more information please.

Archived