NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thank you ...

... for all your friendly informative advice over the last two month, far more than you can find in any book.

I finally picked up my scope from a very nice shop in Frome on Saturday. Have to say it was great to see a wide range of scopes in the flesh. I went in all set to buy an Explorer 200p and came out with a 150p after seeing the size of the 200 :D.

Got first light yesterday after collimating with a laser collimator (I think) while trying to work out how the big white gearbox works. Jupiter looked great at 25 (with four moons) and 10 however my eyes didn't get on with the Barlow with the 10mm - any ideas? Although I could see the rings and detail Jupiter was very bright should I be using a filter ?

If anybody has any idea on how to package and move the mount and scope around (cases etc.) I would be very interested to hear.

The view from the 10mm was great - but when I attached it to the barlow the image kept blacking out - probably me shivering too much. I have to say I was tempted by the dobsonian and am currently very envious of the mount. I bought the eq as I wanted to blow the dust off the SLR. Shame you cant have both ...

Hi Rigel-7, congratulations! Yes, MC2 shop in Frome is great, I bought my wife's scope there, very helpful and friendly. Yes, Jupiter is bright, but I find it best unfiltered, but if you really want to, a Moon filter, or a variable polarising filter will get rid of some of the glare. If a Moon filter, I suggest an ND96 (0.09) from somewhere like Astronomica (Moon Filters - Filters - Accessories - Astronomica) would be best, they do them for about £10.50 posted. BTW, when you use a Barlow, it pushes the eye-relief out by about double, so that's why you may have experienced discomfort.

Thanks Robin - Loved the shop, service is fantastic and the drive is great fun when the scope is not in the back of the car. Can you recommend a good eyepiece for planetary viewing without the blackouts ...

Archived