What are the best settings

Well had a clear sky for about 4hrs monday night, so out i went to try and capture jupiter...Scope all aligned & 25mm ep focused, everything looking good. Laptop on, sharpecap running, attach webcam to scope all checked... Spend next 1.5hrs trying to focus cam & get some kind of picture. Give up with web cam & go get D3100 instead much more straight forward & i get results....

I can't for the life of me figure it (webcam) out... Used same settings on sharpecap as suggested by Tich & others,AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, still nothing. No clue now what to do. Wife say's "throw it on floor & stamp on it" starting to agree with her now... LOL...

Going to wait until moon is up next and try 1 last time....

I think you would be very lucky to get Jupiter in the webcam if you are going straight to it from a 25mm ep. I start with 25 then move in steps down to my 5mm. Even when it is fine tuned with the 5mm it is not always immediately in the webcam and a little more adjustment is needed. I always use the webcam with a Barlow - as I can't focus without it - and also make sure I use it when setting up with the eyepieces. I can now get it in view with the 2x Barlow quite quickly but sometimes I give up with the 3x as no matter what I do I can't find the target. I am sure you will get there in the end. Good luck!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:icon_salut: Whoop Whoop,cracked it last night. the results were not great but i finally got something. Really need to sort my focusing out, it was Awful. gives me something else now to work on...

Well done knew you'd crack it in the end, I was hoping to try some imaging over the weekend but it would seem that work has ruined that idea!!! I hope you'll be able to post some pictures......

Archived