NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing with the bins near the Equator

Woking

I'm off to Singapore soon and will be taking the 15x70 bins with me. Apart from the local climate having the clouds regularly roll in early evening, the high humidity and the obvious LP, I'm hoping to get out with the bins to the north part of the island away from the main city.

Planispheres are apparantly pretty useless near the equator so can anybody advise of some targets to view and maybe some freebie or cheap starmaps out there for that latitude?

Thinking there's must see targets down that neck of the woods like the Magellenic Clouds that we don't get the chance to see here up at 51o.

At this time of year, Eta Carinae is a must. Makes M42 look pathetic by comparison! Also LMC (+ Tarantula), IC1206 and, if you are up very late, NGC4755 and omega Centauri (makes M13 look tiddly). You could also have a pop at some of those southern Messiers, like M83, which are difficult from Britain. (There are finder charts for everything I've mentioned on my Binocular Sky web site - URL in sig)

Cheers Steve, that's a great list for me to have a bash at.

I'd imagine the jetlag will give me quite a few hours in the morning to start with, then as it wears off I can move to evening viewing - perfect!

It's really going to be odd to see Polaris on the horizon, the Plough half-hidden and Jupiter directly above. Can't wait to observe the LMC and now Eta Carinae (just looked it up and it should be some sight).

I have detected a hint of "oval" from the unresolved rings in 10x50 bins and they were easy in 20x50s. With 15x bins, you probably have to support them for a good view but they will be fairly hard to detect.

Archived