NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 and M45

drumsolo

Hi Folks,

This is my 2nd attempt at M42 and my first at M45. These are both unguided, 20 x 1 min for M42 and 30 x 50 secs for M45. Still learning to post process but think I am gradually understanding some of the techniques. I know the framing isn't perfect, something I need to improve on. I would really appreciate some comments and feedback, especially on the processing.

Many thanks

post-24534-133877717445_thumb.jpg

post-24534-133877717453_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Both are pretty good images. Nicely in focus. I think you are doing a fine job with the processing, but there really isn't enough data yet. I know it feels like you have been capturing for ever, but you always seem to need more to overcome signal to noise issues and get real depth from a DSLR. There are some fantastic images on the forum, but you will usually find that they have spent loads of time on the raw data.

On the M45 image, if I stretch it way beyond what the image can really take, there is quite a lot of that beautiful blue nebulosity visible. Particularly around Merope, you can see the characteristic striations in the nebula.

You can also see that the background at the edges is much darker than at the centre of the image. That is most likley vignetting in the optical path, and can be cured by taking flats. A whole topic in its own right that others know a lot more about than I do.

So the biggest improvements you can make are more subs and taking flats. I have found that you need to alternate improving your data and your processing. First you learn processing to get anything. Then you find you don't have enough data for the processing ou know how to do. So you improve the data, find you can do more processing and so on.

old_eyes

Thank you for your feedback. I am yet to get in to guiding so have to stick to unguided exposures of 1 min max. Do you think if I increase the number of exposures of 1 min subs I will get much more data out of the finished result?

I tried to stretch M45 as much as possible to get the nebulosity but the whole image was getting to bright, again is this a lack of data?

thanks

Stuart

Archived