Storage locations for my new 200P Dob

Hi

I have recently acquired my new telescope, and absolutely love the thing! I had a very good first light with it this evening, but have a few questions.

Firstly, towards the end of my session, I noticed frost developing on the tube and components, and was slightly concerned.

Would it be ok to leave the telescope outside in the shed covered in plastic sheet, or must it be taken inside to be kept warm? NOOB questions I know, but thanks for your help!

Regards

Tony:p

Hi Tony,

Don't worry about frost on the scope it wont do it any harm, scopes are designed to be used on cold clear nights. :)

Also I would recommend storing your scope outside in the shed (that's where mine is kept) as to get the best views from your scope it needs to be at the ambient outside temp. If it isn't there will be thermal currents inside the scope tube that will affect your views.

You will read on here people talking about the 'cool down time' of scopes - If you store your scope indoors in a nice warm house it will take a lot longer to cool down to the ambient outside temp compared to a scope keep in a shed. :D

Hi Tony,

Don't worry about frost on the scope it wont do it any harm, scopes are designed to be used on cold clear nights. :)

Also I would recommend storing your scope outside in the shed (that's where mine is kept) as to get the best views from your scope it needs to be at the ambient outside temp. If it isn't there will be thermal currents inside the scope tube that will affect your views.

You will read on here people talking about the 'cool down time' of scopes - If you store your scope indoors in a nice warm house it will take a lot longer to cool down to the ambient outside temp compared to a scope keep in a shed. :D

Thanks for that.

What do you cover your scope with? A special bag or something?

In a shed that is basically sealed off from the elements (it has a roof/door) and is about the same temp as outside. Covers are also goodand tied around the legs of tripod as they keep spiders from making your scope their new home.

Tarpalin covers,motorbike covers,BBQ cover..................once it fits.

Thanks for that.

What do you cover your scope with? A special bag or something?

I use the kids trampoline cover which is water proof, always handy in case your shed roof decides to spring a leek.

I should also add you really need some ventilation in the shed as it helps to dry the condensation that will form on the scope on a cold night observing. Wooden sheds are generally ok as there are usually gaps around the door etc. :)

Archived