Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 and 7 sisters from last nights clear skys

Quatermass

QM great stuff there, I wonder what does the M51 look like with a tad less contrast? With a background closer to the M45? Nice work!

Hi Jessun

I gave this one more contrast then normal as I like to see the spirals in the Galaxy and it was taken on a moon lit night so would get better results with a darker sky and longer exsposure time,I dont have my autoguider set up yet so can only take just under 3 minute subs on a good run with no wind about. I am more interested in seeing the structure of these galaxys then getting a perfect picture its almost a second way of observing. A lot of this detail I just can not see at all until I have taken the subs and processed them certainly never see those spirals in my eye piece thats for sure. For that I would need a bigger scope and my eyesights not that great any more.:):D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that moon can be a bit annoying... The image is really great, lots of detail and structure. Just thought the background could be 'softened' a little bit from the pitch black to make the galaxy sorta part of something. It would only take a tweak. Only a thought, I have nothing of that quality myself!!

Oops crossed posts there QM. HIP 65768 upper left looks very well defined in your stack. (had to look it up don't worry...) It would lift the image if some of that nice surrounding was maintained. A challenge for sure, but I'se seen many of your images and I reckon that you're very skilled editor.

Your dead right it needs that back ground to look less focused on I plan to have another try at it when the moon has gone as you get big gradiants when the moons up. That was a quicky half an hour edit in photoshop so with a better night should get some nicer subs to work with not having a guided system is beginning to get to me now but hopefully if I sell my caravan I will free up some dosh :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Archived