First try with orion nebula... any tips?

Hi Jim,

Nice pic. Whatever you do, keep the exposure times relatively short, probably about what you have taken already. I'm just starting out in astrophotography so can't really help get your pics better but I do have some advice regarding AP for you.

I had a look at your scope & noticed it was an ALT/AZ mount. Unfortunately these aren't very good for DSO AP because the mount cannot track accurately enough & it also rotates at a different angle to the object rotating around the night sky. For AP you'll need an EQ mount, the minimum recommended one is the HEQ5 Pro which costs £750 brand new. With this mount you can take many 30s+ subs & then stack them using a free program like Deep space stacker to stack them & get the awesome pics which other more experienced members are producing.

With your mount I would recommend buying a webcam like this:-

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

Once you buy this, then I would download 2 free programs called Sharpcap & Registax. With these you take pics of the Moon & the planets with sharpcap & then using registax, stack the best frames to give you some good pics of the solar system objects.

Cheers,

Jeff

Take a look at my blog it has a lot of information on the eq5 little bit cheaper then the HEQ5 and a sky watcher 200p also photoshop tutorials. The webcam is good advice as you dont have an eq mount. Keep your subs shorter and try iso 800 30 shots with 10 darks flats and bias\ offset stack in deepsky stacker and finish in photoshop also take a few at 10-20 seconds to work on the core. Hope that helps above all have fun :icon_scratch:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about that I'm afraid, although it might be possible.

It would take a heck of a lot of extra work to do that though, especially on top of the stacking & processing. Due to the Alt/Az mount you would be taking lets say shorter 15s exposures & to get the details that would mean taking lots of subs, probs 30-40 at absolute minimum. That would mean rotating every single one & checking if it fits.

That doesn't mean you can't do that. But if you can it will be lots of extra work which might put you off. I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help you out with that.

Best of luck with it,

Jeff

hey thanks for all of your advise, i will try some of this out next clear night, but a big problem for me seems to be wind, with longer exposures all it takes is a small gust of wind and it ruins the photo, and ideas how to stop this??

Archived