Advice for Megrez 72

I am purchasing a Megrez 72, i want a diagonal and eyepieces/filters of matching quality to the scope. Can anyone recommend what i should purchase and what size eyepieces?

Also can anyone recommend a good lightweight tripod/mount (precision slow motion controls) for under £200? I want something i can travel with easily.

I am thinking of purchasing this mount but at nearly £200 it is more than i really wanted to pay 410 Junior Geared Head - Heads | Manfrotto

Thanks

Rob

I have not really given myself a budget for eyepieces, but i would rather invest in a few above average to good quality eyepieces to match the quality of the scope. I just don't want to spend money on a good scope then not get the appropriate performance because of cheap accesories. I suppose i was thinking about £50 an eyepiece, but i have done no research on eyepieces so not sure what is appropriate.

But i do live in London so something that can eliminate all light pollution would be ideal ha!

The Revelation kit is fine but in such a short focal length scope and even with the barlow the maximum magnification is x96 and all you powers are bunched together below that. You'd be better with three well chosen ep's giving you low, medium and high magnification. In your scope I'd probably not go much higher than x150.

The scope is 432mm FL so even the much liked BST's would only give 86x, to get more means something below 5mm or perhaps the 8mm BST and a good barlow to get 4mm and so 108x

That might be a fair option for the scope, the 8mm alone would give 54x, with barlow 108x, then perhaps the 18mm for wide views. 2 BST's and a Tal barlow should come to somewhat less then £100.

Alternatives are the TMB Planetary's and presently the Celestron X-Cel's.

For high power viewing (planets / the moon), if you could stretch your budget a bit the William Optics SPL 3mm will give you a nice high power of 144x and is of a high optical and mechanical quality. I think they list for around £69.

Archived