NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Powersupply, Nexstar 130 GT

Hi all.

Getting tired of constantly using/replacing batteries for power. I usually buy cheaper brands - and they will only do for about 3 hours of observing (well, I do a lot of sleewing during this time = marathon like observing sessions mainly)

I bought a cig.plug cable which has 12V 500mA on stamped on it.

The telescope manual says 12V 750mA.

Would this difference have a major impact on the drive? Will it work at all? Will it blow up in my face?

Tnx!

I use a celestron power tank 7Ah. A lead is provided with it of the correct rating. I too had problems with batteries running out very quickly. I may be wrong but the cable may not handle the power requirements of the telescope, but you can buy the cables from astronomy shops online. I did, after damaging the original one.

Try this, it's in Germany but they deliver across Europe

Teleskop & Fernglas Versand Astroshop.de

If you have a 500mA fuse installed and draw 750 mA you could blow the fuse. As Nosivad states the cable may not be able to handle the current surges when slewing and get warm. Best to get a sealed lead acid battery which you can recharge from a car battery charger. If your mount is drawing 750 mA and assuming 60% Depth of Discharge a 7 A/H battery will last around 5.5 hours. Attach your battery to the mount using a good connector lead and all should be ok.Hope this helps.

Neil

Archived