NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion 24 or Panaview 26 in my 2" diagonal?

Mr Noble

I've spent the last few days reading through all the great threads on here and have just been over to green wicth to buy a 2" WO dielectric diagonal to use on my CPC8.

I have a 8mm and a 13mm Hyperion (thanks Derek) :( and want to get a 25ish and a 35ish ep to complete the set.

I'd quite like to stick to all hyperion and get the 24 and 36mm ones, but I read that the 24 is the runt in the litter and not as good as others in the range.

So I'm leaning towards having the 26 and 38mm panaviews instead.

Can anyone tell me if these are a good choice for my C8. Would the 38mm be to low powered in the C8?

I like that the 26mm is a true 2" whereas the hyperion 21mm or 24mm would only be a 1.25". Would there be much difference between the 2" 26mm panaview and the 24mm hyperion at only 1.25"?

All tips greatly appreciated :o

The true 2" eyepieces can have a larger field of view than their 1.25" counterparts but the 26mm Panaview has only a very slightly wider field than the 24mm Hyperion does. I'd be thinking about either the 32mm or the 38mm Panaview to maximise that 2" advantage.

I have decided to stick with 1.25" so far as I can for observing, for ease of changing, cheaper filters, lighter weight, etc. I have a low cost 38mm SWA which really only sees use as a finder. I recently ordered a 24mm Explore Scientific 68 degree eyepiece to maximise field of view on 1.25" to replace an HR 25mm 60 degree. I have also toyed with the idea of a 31mm or 36mm aspheric to give a better wide view than the SWA, it it is not at the top of my wants list at present.

Archived