Why do I not get a picture

Hi..I just purchased a 8" Saxon Dobsonian and set it up last night outside.It was a bit cloudy but the moon was half full and bright so I took the end large cover off and got the Finder scope lined up with a nice clear picture of the moon but I could not see anything through the viewfinder.How log does it take to see the image ? I also Pointed it at Jupiter but could not see anything either.What am

I doing wrong..??..Thanks Steve:headbang:

report.gif

quote.gif

Hi Steve,

Did you check the collimation on the main scope and the alignment of your finder.

Your finder alignment may be off. I suggest you point your main scope at the moon, get it in focus on the main scope. Use a low power wide field eyepiece for this. Then check the where the finder is pointing. If the finder is not pointing at the moon, you should adjust it using the screws on the finder holder and put the cross hair on the moon. Then move your scope to Jupiter and get Jupiter centre on the main scope with a higher power eyepiece. Repeat the finderscope centring to fine tune it.

Also, the collimation on your scope may be out. You can check collimation by centring on a star with a high power eyepiece, then defocus it slightly to see the concentric circular rings. If the shadow of the secondary is not dead centre, you scope is out of collimation. I don't use Newt, so I will let someone else talk you through the collimation procedure.

Steve,

As Keith said - You need to align the finder to the scope optics.

Best to do this in daylight.

First focus on a distant object and center it in the eyepiece through the main telescope.

Then without moving the scope center the same object in the finder scope using the two black plastic screws.

This will align the scope optics to the finder scope optics so when you get an object in the middle of the finder it will be in the middle of the eyepiece in the scope.

Archived